Saturday, August 18, 2007

Beer and Cupcakes

At some point in the 18th mile of my training this morning, I began singing "18 bottles of beer on the wall, 18 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around..." You get the idea. And don't worry, I wasn't singing it out loud for all the world to hear and therefore, be concerned about my psychological state. When you're out on trail for hours by yourself, it's interesting to see what thoughts pass through your mind. I'm not sure what it means that "18 bottles of beer" came to minde but it made me laugh and gave me the extra energy and motivation to complete 18 beers, I mean, miles.

Some of us chose to start the morning at 5:00 while others began at 6:00. Starting earlier was great because it was much better training weather. The only negative is that there were many moments where I was running in pure darkness. A little spooky. Once again, the first 10 miles felt great and the last 8 were pretty tough. By the last 4 miles, I was reminding myself that all I had to do was put one foot in front of the other. When simplified to that level, it seemed possible even though every bone and muscle in my body was aching. When I finished, I realized I had completed this 18 miles in less time than the 16 miles two weeks ago! This was good news, good news indeed.

To celebrate this achievement, my friend, Rania, and I patronized a shop I've been eyeing for months now. Baby Cakes is a locally owned cupcake shop which sounded like heaven to me. I ordered their most popular cupcake, the red velvet, and Rania chose the strawberry. We sat on a wooden bench outside the charming shop and giggled like little girls as we enjoyed our scrumptious treats. What a divine Saturday afternoon activity. I am a happy girl.

*********

Thank you Joel Limpic and Dave and Jill Humes for your very generous donations made this week! I am so grateful for your support and encouragement. I couldn't do this without all the people that have made contributions, given encouragement, coached me, and participated as teammates. Together, we've reached 55% of my financial commitment and 18 miles of my physical commitment! October 21st will be here before we know it. Thanks, everyone.

No comments: