Saturday, September 22, 2007

22.

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." Ann Trason

I fully understand that quote and I found it helpful to remind myself of it throughout the course. It's good to know it will hurt. What will hurt? Everything will hurt. But the pain's not going away and you still have mileage left to complete so get over it. Those are some of the things than went through my mind today. Other thoughts included: "I can do this," "I will not quit," "I am strong", "Just one foot in front of the other," "Have you hit a brick wall? Aim higher and jump over it," "My only job is to endure."

Several people have asked me how I felt after completing the 22 miles. My honest answer is, I don't know. It's strange. Perhaps I'm not able to process it just yet because I'm so tired. But it mostly feels the same as ever other week where the mileage has been increased. Every time I am challenged like this, I am sore in the same exact way. There's some comfort in that but it also makes the fact that I completed 22 MILES today a bit...anticlimactic. Now, don't get me wrong, I am proud of myself and my team. I feel great about knowing that I WILL finish the Nike Women's Marathon in 4 weeks.

My body has never been worked like this before so it's been an interesting journey. Training for a marathon is just as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge. I had heard that before but now I've experienced it. Thank you to my family, friends and teammates who have been so encouraging over the last 4 months. I couldn't have gotten this far without you.

There are two people I'd like to mention, my dear friends, Lisa and Heidi. Lisa will be running the Beijing Marathon the same day that I am running/walking Nike and Heidi is running the NYC Marathon two weeks later. I find inspiration in these women so when you think about me, think about them, too. Good luck, ladies! We can do this!

No comments: