Thursday, September 6, 2007

From Sea to Shining Sea


Some people live in the same town their whole lives, some move every year or so, and some fall in between. I average 2 years in any one location. My sister, Melissa, moved to DC right after college and stayed there until last Tuesday morning when she got in her car to begin her cross country move. That's 8 years in the same beautiful city. I was able to join her for 2 of her 4 days on the road. That's right, just me, Melissa and the open road. It was fantastic. We drove through Kansas and Oklahoma...


the Texas Panhandle (home of Laci Scott!)...


New Mexico (this picture does not do justice to this most beautiful state)...


Arizona, which presented some of the most interesting plant life I've ever seen...


and finally, California...


and more specifically, Los Angeles, where Melissa took pictures of any sign mentioning the city while I attempted to keep us alive on the freeways of LA...


In her defense, I had one job while I wasn't driving and that was to make sure and get a picture of the "Welcome to California" sign. We were crossing and admiring the lovely Colorado River and BAM! There it was. The sign. Melissa hit my leg several times while repeating "get your camera, get your camera" or something similar. Have you ever tried to turn on a digital camera and take a quick picture? They do not respond with the speed one would hope. Here's the result...


Sad, I know. Thankfully, we had a good time otherwise and I think I've been forgiven. We met my parents and my brother, Ben, who had flown out for a visit as well. I saw my parents' new apartment and neighborhood, met some of their friends & co-workers at a party my parents hosted, experienced Ben's culinary skills first hand, spent time with extended family, and of course, went to the beach. Seeing the water is a must for every coastal visit! All in all, a great trip. Everyone should be so lucky to drive across our beautiful country and share the experience with a sister. Thanks for letting me share it with you and may LA be good to you, Melissa!

1 comment:

laci said...

texas panhandle - holla!