Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Walk in the Park


Almost every day, I walk from the same bus stop to my apartment after work. It's a lovely walk through my neighborhood so most days, I look forward to it. Today was no different, except I was particularly appreciative of the walk. The air was crisp, the sky was a clear blue, the tree-lined street was proudly displaying the colors of fall, the sun was beginning to set and it's rays lit the trees so that they sparkled. There's a reason that fall is a favorite season for many, myself included.


As I walked toward the park, I passed a community garden and walked around to see what was growing. My knowledge of gardening and farming leaves much to be desired but I do appreciate it and hope to find a desire to learn more about it someday. In the meantime, I'll admire the gardens of others from afar and salivate over the rows of brightly colored fruits and vegetables at the Farmer's Market.


Since I'm completely engrossed in Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin's Three Cups of Tea, I've stopped to read at the park the last couple nights. It works out nicely to have a park so close to my apartment. Tonight, people were out enjoying a little touch football and frisbee. I was enjoying the company of my book, the sounds of laughter, and the spectacular sunset. This evening was a gift.

No comments: