Friday, December 21, 2007

Peace To You

Until Monday, I was enjoying a perfectly calm holiday season. Sure I have to travel for the holidays which can be stressful for some but I happen to really like airports and my lovely family decided to pick names this year which meant I had very little shopping to do. While I am not a fan of shopping, I do love to give gifts so it was hard not to break the rules. We also put a modest limit on the amount of money we were to spend on each gift, also difficult but it turned out to be a fun challenge. I added another challenge by pledging to only give handmade items this year, either made by me or someone else. There are lots of great things out there made by very talented people so the only problem was choosing which one to go with. In the end, I'm very pleased with my choice and I hope "my person" is too!

As I mentioned above, I was doing so well until Monday. Work got a little (or a LOT) crazy in ways I wasn't expecting and it was a little (or a LOT) out of hand. I was lamenting the absence of peace in those few days (which felt like an eternity,) hoping 13 hour work days wouldn't last much longer, wondering how I was going to make progress on the personal to-do list (which was short but there was no extra time in sight,) when I was finding myself exhausted at the end of each work day. I do not like holiday stress- stress because of the holidays or during the holidays. Everyone around me is stressed out so I do the best I can to avoid that same lifestyle and for the most part I am successful. Hence, my frustration when life seemed to explode on Monday. Well, the work has slowed down and peace is returning to my quiet little life, for which I am grateful. I still have a few things to take care of before flying out tomorrow but nothing to lose my head over. I feel like myself again.

As you may be approaching your holidays and calendars filled with events and extended family, may you also have peace. May you find moments to simply breathe, observe the beauty around you, feel the love you have for your family and friends, and say a prayer for the world.

Wishing you peace this holiday season.

No comments: