Friday, February 22, 2008

I love LA!



If my cousin, Kathy, is trying to convince to stay in LA forever by offering me theatre tickets, it's working. Last night, I had planned to make dinner and watch the democratic debate. But then she called and gave me opportunity to see one of the many musicals I've been wanting to see for years, Wicked. Obviously, I put the chicken back in the refrigerator, recorded the debate & got ready to go to Pantages Theatre.

I was like a little kid, singing the songs, imagining the first moment that the lights dim & the orchestra's first notes fill the room. Melissa quickly implemented a "no singing songs from Wicked" rule in the car on the way to the show and I reluctantly agreed. It was her car, after all.

As we traveled down Hollywood Blvd., we found ourselves taking a detour due to a road closure. Why? Because the Kodak Theatre is on Hollywood Blvd. and they are setting up for the Oscars, of course! (Amy, welcome to LA.) We arrived, walked down Hollywood Blvd, noticing the stars beneath our feet, stopped for a cup of coffee and met my cousin's family just before the start of the show.

We had great seats and I throughly enjoyed the performance. It's a fun show that's completely over the top and still touching and funny. Again, I felt like a little kid as I allowed myself to enter the world and story that was presented to me. I think that's one of the things I love most about theatre. Imagination is a beautiful thing and when paired with live theatre, it's heaven.

LA is working out just fine.

No comments: