Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Nike Women's Marathon 2008

I recently received the following email from Amy and thought I'd pass it along for any of you that might like to complete a marathon and/or actively support a good cause.

Ladies (& Gentlemen too!) ~

Nike has just posted some information about the registration of the Nike Women's Marathon this year. I want to be sure everyone is aware so we can all get in and complete this glorious event together. :)

The overwhemling popularity of this marathon has caused Nike to select participants through a random drawing this year. You will need to register for the lottery/drawing starting on March 4th and be sure you have completed your entry by March 18th. The good news is that this will again sell-out and raise lots of money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The bad news is that it could be a little tougher to get in as a participant.

However...if you sign up through the TNT program and commit to raising a couple G's for LLS then you're IN. I highly suggest this going this route. Raising the $$$ is a cinch. Once you tell people what an amazing thing that you are doing, they can't help but open their wallets and donate money for this incredibly deserving charity.

I have benefitted from the money that this charity has raised over the last 20 years. The dollars raised fund life-saving research and provide cancer patients a network of resources that become invaluable when you are facing a battle with cancer.

When I remember back to just one year ago at this time ~ I was coughing violently and didn't know why. It was waking me up at night and distracting my co-workers at the office during the day. I was scratching my itchy skin and wondering just how much lotion might eventually stop the itchiness. I was waking up at night drenched in sweat thinking my pajamas made me hot...but they hadn't ever before?

On March 5th I was diagnosed with stage III non-Hodgkins lymphoma and started the toughest chapter of my life. My battle with the big C. LLS and TNT were dropped right out heaven and in to my life. Ironically, I had been a participant during several seasons and had raised about $15,000 - never knowing anyone that had leukemia or lymphoma. Suddenly, it was me with the disease and the word "honoree" on my singlet. There I was at the early morning practice giving the team my best "thank you for what you are doing for us" speech. I could never thank the TNT participants without getting choked up. I still can not. In fact, just typing this brings tears to my eyes.

I hope that you will sign up for this event. If you have never done an event with TNT I think you will find yourself pleasantly surprised. If you're like me, you will raise the money with ease and find the physical training to be the tougher part. Whether you sign up for the full (26.2 miles) or the half (13.1 miles) you will feel incredible when you're all done. Don't be afraid to raise the money. IT WILL COME.

And sorry, just because I now work at Nike doesn't mean anyone of us automatically gets in...even me! All Nike employees have to get in through the lottery or TNT. No exceptions.

Please consider signing up for TNT. You won't regret it. I promise! Feel free to forward this to anyone you know that would be interested.

--


amy bartlett
www.ichoosehope.com
"Before cancer I just lived, now I live strong." -Lance Armstrong

No comments: