Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Good Samaritan

For those of you who think LA is a scary city full of self-centered people, let me tell you a little story about my evening. As I sat in the office at my latest temp job, I overheard a few people mention dark clouds and the coming rain. Uh oh. I didn't have an umbrella in my bag. I know better than this. I've been relying on public transportation for two and a half years and I know one should never leave home without cash, a cell phone, a book, and an umbrella...even in southern California. As I left the office, it was only lightly raining but as I arrived at the bus stop, it was pouring. A guy came over with his umbrella and offered to share it with me. His name is Mark and he's my new best friend in LA! We got on the same bus and he told me where his stop was, which happened to be the same as mine. He walked me all the way to my apartment! Now, I know what you're thinking, he'll show up at my door in the middle of the night or something but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He said he was "overdue for a good deed" and I was desperate and happy to oblige. I love life's unexpected moments and I'm glad that I'm more open to accepting them.

So, the next time you think of LA, think about how kind it's citizens are and plan a visit. Who knows, maybe Mark will share his umbrella. :) Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go put an umbrella in my bag.

1 comment:

Esennyl said...

:) This is great. I like to believe that we people have some good left in us... despite what we see on the evening news.