Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The First Amendment Alive And Well

After work last night, I went for a walk along the beach (the sound of the ocean is good for my soul) since I had some time to kill before I would be able to meet my roommate, who was going to let me back into our apartment where my keys were residing at the time. I started in Venice and ended up at the Santa Monica Pier. As I approached Ocean Avenue, I could hear and see a crowd of protesters. With Prop 8 recently passing in California, I assumed that was the reason for this protest and I was correct. I was excited to stumble upon this demonstration of our country's First Amendment rights. As my sister recently said, "I love democracy!" If we don't like something, we have the right to say something about it and many have been doing so for centuries. It's a thing to be celebrated, in my opinion.

Honestly, I was quite surprised that Prop 8 passed, perhaps I was naive. I haven't done enough research to understand why it passed. The point is it did and many people are assembling peacefully across the state (and country) to voice their disappointment, hurt, frustration and anger. Of course, there are those standing on the other side of the issue but there doesn't seem to be as many, perhaps because they are happy about the result and find it unnecessary to act at this time. (I only saw three "Yes on 8" protesters last night and they were too far away to photograph given the darkness.)

Below are some images from the protest I unexpectedly attended and that were accompanied by chants like:

"What do we want?
Equal Rights!
When do what them?
Now!"

"Gay, straight, black, white, marriage is a civil right!"






No comments: