Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can

I want to document this beautifully historic event but I can't seem to find the words. The tears come easily, however. I have a vivid memory of listening to President-Elect Obama speaking at the 2004 DNC. I had two thoughts. One, "why isn't that man running instead of Kerry?" and two, "someday, I will vote for him for President of the United States." I never thought it would be this soon but yesterday, I did vote for him and did so with a sense of excitement that I've never experienced in a voting booth before. Americans came out and raised our voices and together, we overwhelmingly asked Mr. Obama to take us into the future. There are many people better equipped than I to state the importance of this moment in our history. I know I'm really lucky to have had the opportunity to participate in this particular election. And I know, this is a day I will never forget.

Thank you, Mr. Obama, for taking on this immense challenge and for giving me hope for the future. Thank you to your family who will sacrifice much over the next four years. Thank you to the many people who chose to get involved and actively support his campaign. We did it and we proudly celebrate today, tears and all.


Victory Speech in Chicago's Grant Park.

No comments: