Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Death By...

Running
Last week, a friend asked me to go for a run with her one evening. I'm out of shape and a super slow runner to begin with but she didn't mind so we did it. Then, a couple days ago, one of my '08 Nike friends sent out an invitation to join her for the P.F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon in January 2010. I guess I have only myself to blame for the fact that people think these are appropriate invitations for me. (What have I done?!) Anyway, in light of the facts that physical exercise is a stress reliever, helpful in weight loss and general health, and necessary if one is considering the challenging of running a race, I went out for a short run last night.

On both running occasions, I felt like I was going to die. Why? Because oxygen is necessary for life and this element was seemingly absent. I know I've said this before but I watch true runners in absolute awe, especially those runners who look as relaxed as I do when sleeping. How do they do it? It is unlikely that I will ever experience a 6 minute mile but I do have aspirations to someday hit the pavement for a few miles without the aid an oxygen mask. I would also like to actually enjoy it. That's right, I've completed two marathons and I still hate running. Granted I walked more than I ran either of those races but still, you would think after several hundred training miles and 52.4 'racing' miles, some of that I-love-running-joy would rub off on me. What will it take?! Geesh.

While I have yet to actually enjoy a run while in the midst of it, I do feel great when it's over. Sometimes, several hours after it's over but still, I feel better and I know it's good for my body and soul. I also find I have more energy which brings me to my next point.

Chocolate
With all the extra energy following last night's run, I walked to a restaurant for a chocolate milk shake. Yeah, shut up.

An Excellent Film
Chocolate shake in hand, I watched "The Green Mile" before going to bed. It was the first time I had seen it and I cried my bloody eyes out! The acting is fantastic, the story is moving and I was pretty sure my heart was being ripped from my body with each passing scene. But if you're one of the few people left on the earth that has yet to see this film, I highly recommend it.

Politics
Finally, I need to vent for a moment. It is no secret that I am one of those excited about our new president and I have renewed hope for our future. I understand that there are those who disagree with me and have passionate reasons for it. I felt the same way when Bush was re-elected and I know how difficult it is to be disappointed, concerned, and even scared in the midst of someone else's celebration. However, I do not understand why anyone would root for their president to fail. Again, I was not happy about Bush but I certainly didn't want him to fail. For him to fail was for our country to fail, why would I want that? So, why are so many people actively and publicly rooting for President Obama to fail? I understand if you want a bill or policy to fail but more than that seems immature and ignorant. He won, get over it. Okay, I'm done now.

No comments: