Friday, January 2, 2009

Shuffle Off To A New Life

Who knew that such a little thing could provide so much hope for a new life? My sister and her boyfriend took pity on me and gave me an iPod Shuffle for Christmas, a truly pleasant surprise! With all of my bus riding and walking, I've often thought this little device would be so nice but I never bought one for myself. My favorite place to listen to music was always the car (partly because I could sing at the top of my lungs without disturbing anyone) but I haven't owned a car in three years so my listening practices have been almost non-existent. I didn't realize just how much I was missing it until I finally got my super cute, green, shuffle loaded up and in my ears for this morning's commute! It felt so freeing and so fun!

I'm really moved my music and even motivated--I actually went for a run when I got home from work today just because I was energized by the song I was listening to! I don't remember what song it was but who cares, I ran...for no reason...for the first time since the marathon (October.) This is an exciting development. Now, before you go thinking I went for a long distance, graceful run, let me tell you the truth--I seriously sucked wind for about a mile and I'm still coughing from the cool air trapped in my lungs. Too funny. But it's a mile more than I ran yesterday so I feel good about that and who knows, maybe it'll happen again sometime soon.

While I'm not one to make a list of resolutions, I do love and feel the hope for a better year that comes with the start of a new year. It offers a clean slate, a chance to start over, to make changes, to leave bad habits behind, to reinforce healthy habits and to hope that the things you desire find their way into your life this year. Of course, this year includes a new president and a historical event when he takes office which just adds to the excitement. Ah, the sweetness of a new year.

No comments: