Friday, February 27, 2009

"Times Are Shitty..."

"But I'm pretty sure they can't get worse." (Lyrics from Sante Fe, Rent, by Jonathon Larson.)

Well, things got a little bit better when my dear sister called this afternoon to tell me she's taking me to see Rent tomorrow! It's an early birthday present and I'm so excited! She has never seen the stage production and I saw it years ago on a tour but not with any of the original cast members. Most people interested in musical theatre are aware that Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal returned for this current tour and I was so hoping to see them perform these roles live. It's rare that anyone who creates a role is able to come back in the same role 13 years later. And since I don't live in NY, it's rare for me to see original Broadway casts so I can't wait. I truly didn't think I was going to be able to go. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Melissa.

Of course, the irony is not lost on me. The fact that I'm going to see Rent when lately, I wonder how I'm going to pay mine is one of life's little attempts at humor. (And yes, I'm laughing or at least smiling.) No updates on the job front but I'm not giving up hope! I can't. That doesn't mean that I don't have bad days, trust me I do. I'm just trying not to focus on them because that's not very helpful. I make daily attempts to see the good in order to remind me that I'm surrounded by beauty and have many things to be grateful for in my life. As hard as it might be, there is always someone else suffering more. I'm blessed to have a loving family and friends who look out for me, even though, I don't let them sometimes. Not everyone has that luxury so I know I'm quite lucky.

Anyone want to open up a restaurant in Sante Fe?

2 comments:

kristinroberts said...

wait - what happened? You lost your job?

Amy said...

I've been job searching and temping for several months. There was work for a while but even temp jobs dropped dramatically in the 4th quarter of last year and has been almost non-existent for this quarter. I did get a call last week for a month long gig that starts in a couple days so that is great news! The latest unemployment number I heard for CA is 10%, the 3rd highest in the nation. I've got lots of company in the job search! I know something will work out eventually.