Monday, March 2, 2009

The Way To My Heart

Happy March, everyone! It seems, I'm becoming one of those people who comments on how quickly time passes and while that may suggest something about my age, I am not old. (A phrase I will be repeating for the rest of my days.) But really, I've been in LA over a year already! What happened to that year? What did I accomplish in that year? How do you measure a year? In daylights? Sunsets? Midnights? Cups of coffee? (I know, I know, but I needed a segue!)

Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal stole my heart on Saturday, along with the rest of the touring cast of Rent! Everyone was fantastic and you don't always get that with a touring company. I laughed, I cried. Ah, it was everything I wanted it to be. There is nothing like the theatrical experience, nothing moves and inspires me like storytelling from the stage, particularly when fabulous singing is involved. Having listened to the soundtrack for years, I've become quite familiar with Rapp and Pascal in these roles and it was surprising how solid they were on Saturday. Even after all these years and countless performances of this material, they came out with high energy, gave it 100%, and were essentially flawless, it was remarkable. I suppose that's to be expected from professionals. The full cast was impressive as well, everyone was up to par and fulfilled their roles beautifully. A great day was had by all. Or at least by my sister and I.

The rest of the evening was spent cooking, another favorite activity of mine. We made this for dinner along with a green salad and this for dessert. Delicious! I highly recommend the risotto and while the tart was tasty and pretty, it's a little high maintenance considering how much (or little) it yields. I even made the caramel sauce and didn't burn it! This was exciting for me as my only other attempt at caramel was years ago and a complete disaster. I am no longer afraid of burning sugar, this is progress. Now, if only all fears could be conquered so easily!

Thanks, Melissa, for the best February birthday I've ever had!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Amy-Glad you had such a great time!
Sounds like a wonderful experience.

Amy said...

Thanks, Kim! I fall in love every time I go the theater. :)

ruth said...

wow, i wish i was as fearless a cook as you. those recipes sound terrific!