Friday, April 30, 2010

Artist. Person.

Last night, I did one my very favorite things- I went to the theatre. I heard beautiful singing by a beautiful singer. Just her and her musical director at the piano. Bliss. She sang some of, what I imagine are, her favorite songs to perform. The thing that captures me in a performance like this is when a performer allows herself to be seen as a person. A human being, breathing, feeling, perfectly flawed, uniquely talented, simple & complex. If a performer can bravely be a person while sharing her art, I am all in. I am touched & impressed & inspired. The lovely Sutton Foster is a talented artist & brave person. On some level, I felt like I could relate to her and I learned a lot by watching and listening to her from my front row, stage left seat at the Kirk Douglass Theatre. As they say, I laughed, I cried, it was great!

Art is funny. It's an incredibly vulnerable act to share one's art publicly. And yet, if you're an artist, it's the most obvious act in the world because it's the only thing that makes sense to you. For me, this is a struggle so to see people couragously sharing their art with the world is deeply moving and impactful.

This time, it was Sutton Foster and Michael Rafter that moved and impacted me. And I hope they somehow sensed my genuine gratitude.

No comments: