Saturday, January 29, 2011

12 Days of Freedom

Or torture? Okay, that sounds dramatic but yikes, this detox was worse than any other one. Either that or it's like childbirth pain, you forget after you see that beautiful little face for the first time. Of course, here there's no beautiful face at the end so "time" is the only other logical explanation for possibly forgetting. Regardless, it was rough with relentless headaches and depression! What?! I know it sounds crazy and maybe it is but I swear the mood swings I experienced in the first 9 days were most similar to depression...lots of lows, no highs. I mentioned it to a co-worker who has also stopped drinking caffeine and he said he experienced a lot of aggression when he detoxed so it seems like maybe I'm not crazy. Maybe depression is a side effect for some people who quit coffee cold turkey. I'm not a doctor, this is just the best way I can describe my experience.

I'm happy to report that the depression has passed and I'm back to my normal self. What a relief! I feel pretty good overall. I'm sleeping better and feel more calm. There have been many times when I've wished for more energy but I could get that from working out which seems like a better option than coffee. Although, regular exercise has always been an enormous hurdle for me, I can say that at the very least, I've begun to walk 2 miles after work. I did that 3 times this week. It's been so beautiful out that after sitting inside a high rise all day, it's so nice to get some fresh LA air and move my legs for a couple miles. I'm not sure it counts as exercise but it's movement so it can't be bad. I hope to continue this practice, it's good for so many reasons.

As far as coffee is concerned, I miss the taste for sure so I can see myself enjoying a cup once in a while. But I hope not everyday. It would make a nice treat and one of these days, I'll allow myself to indulge. Honestly, though, I haven't craved it so I'll wait which will make it taste that much better. Ahhhh.

2 comments:

primadonnadiva said...

Yay! Good for you. One of the best benefits of avoiding coffee is avoiding coffee breath, which I detest!

Amy said...

I have to say, I haven't been going through breath mints quite as quickly. :)