Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Caffeine Detox

Once in a while, I decide it would be good for me to cut out caffeine. Why do this to myself? Excellent question and I'm not exactly sure of the answer. I think it has something to do with wondering how much a substance truly affects me, something to do with control (I'm stronger than this cup of delicious perfection, right?), and something to do with the idea of cleansing and starting anew. I have no idea at all if there are any health benefits to this, in fact, the opposite might be more accurate if you ask my co-workers!

I start every day with a large cup of coffee. Slowing sipping the lifegiving potion for most of the morning. Many people think I don't need to detox, that I'm not that big of a coffee drinker. And I'm sure their right, I'm an average coffee user. So why is it that on day 2 of this detox, I feel like I'm going to die? Day 1, no big deal. I was dragging a bit in the afternoon and noticed a headache just before bed but that was it. Today, different story. Constant headache, exhausted, sluggish, and honestly, feeling kind of angry. How sad is that? We're talking about a beverage! Ugh, that's so frustrating to me. It's frustrating because I genuinely adore the taste of coffee. I don't drink it because I want the energy but it's part of the package.

In the past I've gone for long periods of time without coffee. This time, I'll be happy to make it a week. Next Tuesday can't come soon enough.

P.S. Ibuprofen does not help the headaches. Not at all.
P.P.S. Starting detox so close to a full moon is not recommended.

No comments: